First Steps for an OWCP Claim
Filing an OWCP claim can seem overwhelming, but taking the first steps promptly is crucial for a smooth process. Here’s a breakdown of the initial actions you should take as an injured federal worker:
1. Report the injury to your supervisor:
- Do this as soon as possible, ideally within 30 days of the injury or occupational disease diagnosis.
- Your supervisor will provide you with the necessary forms and guide you through the initial steps.
2. Register for an ECOMP account:
3. File the appropriate form:
Depending on the nature of your injury or illness, you’ll need to file either:
- Form CA-1: Notice of Traumatic Injury (for single-event injuries)
- Form CA-2: Notice of Occupational Disease (for conditions developed over time due to work exposure)
You can download these forms from the OWCP website or through ECOMP.
4. Gather supporting documentation:
- Medical records documenting your injury or illness
- Witness statements, if applicable
- Any other relevant evidence supporting your claim
- Make copies of everything for your records.
5. Submit your claim:
Once you’ve completed the form and gathered the necessary documentation, submit your claim through ECOMP.
You can also submit it by mail to the address provided on the forms.
- Keep track of all deadlines and communication with OWCP.
- Be honest and accurate in your claim filing.
- Don’t hesitate to seek help from your supervisor, union representative, or an attorney if needed.
Here are some helpful resources:
Remember, the sooner you take action, the better your chances of a successful OWCP claim.