First Steps for an OWCP Claim

Filing an OWCP claim can seem overwhelming, but taking the first steps promptly is crucial for a smooth process. Here’s a breakdown of the initial actions you should take as an injured federal worker:

1. Report the injury to your supervisor:

  • Do this as soon as possible, ideally within 30 days of the injury or occupational disease diagnosis.
  • Your supervisor will provide you with the necessary forms and guide you through the initial steps.

2. Register for an ECOMP account:

3. File the appropriate form:

Depending on the nature of your injury or illness, you’ll need to file either:

  • Form CA-1: Notice of Traumatic Injury (for single-event injuries)
  • Form CA-2: Notice of Occupational Disease (for conditions developed over time due to work exposure)

You can download these forms from the OWCP website or through ECOMP.

4. Gather supporting documentation:

This includes:

  • Medical records documenting your injury or illness
  • Witness statements, if applicable
  • Any other relevant evidence supporting your claim
  • Make copies of everything for your records.

5. Submit your claim:

Once you’ve completed the form and gathered the necessary documentation, submit your claim through ECOMP.
You can also submit it by mail to the address provided on the forms.

Additional tips:

  • Keep track of all deadlines and communication with OWCP.
  • Be honest and accurate in your claim filing.
  • Don’t hesitate to seek help from your supervisor, union representative, or an attorney if needed.

Here are some helpful resources:

Remember, the sooner you take action, the better your chances of a successful OWCP claim.