I Was Injured Working for the Federal Government. How Do I Get Paid by the Department of Labor?

To get paid by the Department of Labor’s Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) if you are injured working for the federal government, you must first file a claim. You can file a claim online or by mail.

To file a claim online:

  • Go to the OWCP website and click on the “File a Claim” button.
  • Create an account or log in to your existing account.
  • Complete the online claim form.
  • Submit your claim.

To file a claim by mail:

  • Download and print the OWCP Form CA-1 (Employee’s Notice of Injury or Occupational Disease).
  • Complete the form and mail it to the OWCP office nearest you.

Once you have filed a claim, OWCP will assign a claims examiner to your case. The claims examiner will review your claim and gather any additional information that is needed. OWCP will also pay for your medical expenses and temporary disability benefits while your claim is being processed.

If OWCP approves your claim, you will begin receiving permanent disability benefits. The amount of your benefits will depend on the severity of your injury and your pre-injury earnings.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind:

  • You must report your injury to your employer within 30 days of the date of the injury.
  • You must file your claim with OWCP within one year of the date of the injury or one year of the date you became aware of your occupational disease.

You have the right to be represented by an attorney throughout the claims process.
If you have any questions about filing a claim or your eligibility for benefits, you can contact OWCP at 1-800-WORKERS (1-800-967-5377).